Thursday, September 2, 2010

At the Ministry of External Affairs














This picture shows my mum (second from left) and her work colleagues at their office ‘End of Year’ party at the Ministry of External Affairs office at Tafawa Balewa Square in 1960. There is a noticeable awkwardness about the people in the picture – almost as if there has been a conspiratorial decision on their part to look as uninterested as possible! All are dressed in typical office clothes of the time (I think my mum worked as a Secretary there). My mum recalls that it was one of their bosses who took the picture so perhaps he wasn’t well liked. I love the party hats (evidently they didn’t!) and you will notice the style of glasses worn by the lady (4th from the left) – funky 21st Century youngsters are now reviving such vintage styles.

Abby Ogunsanya

No comments:

Post a Comment